One of the most significant investments a person can make is in their education. It provides opportunities for personal growth and enrichment and helps to prepare people for future careers.
Education may be costly, too, and many students struggle to pay their tuition fees despite their value.
Why Rutherford Scholarship?
Scholarships are one way that students can help finance their education. Scholarships are financial aid awards given to students based on merit or need. They can come from various sources, such as universities, private organizations, or the government.
This article discusses the Alexander Rutherford Scholarship, its requirements, deadline, and Mode of Application.
What Is The Alexander Rutherford Scholarship?
This scholarship was named after Alexander Rutherford, Alberta’s first premier and minister of education.
The financial aid was established in 1964 by an Act of the Legislature after the late minister commemorated his massive support for public schools, particularly in the university of Alberta.
The scholarship was started to honor senior high school students for their academic success and to motivate them to pursue post-secondary education.
Thousands of students have received this honorable award over the years, many of whom have done great things.
If you are a high-achieving student living in Alberta, you should consider applying for the Alexander Rutherford Scholarship.
What Are The Requirements For The Alexander Rutherford scholarship?
Named after the first premier of Alberta, this scholarship is one of the most coveted prizes a student can receive. The selection process is highly competitive, and only the top students in each grade are considered.
To qualify for the scholarship, you must:
- Be a Canadian citizen or have lived there for a significant amount of time.
- Have an official and outstanding High School transcript to boost your chances of getting Selected
- Not be a recipient of the scholarship once. Previous scholars are not eligible.
- Have graduated from high school before considering applying for the scholarship.
- Possess an Alberta student number.
- Meet course requirements considering your application.
- Have numerical grades before your application.
- Have your Canadian Social Insurance Number (SIN) ready.
- An average of 70% as a 1st year or full-time student. To calculate your percentage, divide your total score in each high school subject by 40 ( number of credits).
Recipients of the scholarship are selected based on their academic achievement.
- Have graduated from high school on/or before September 30, 1980.
- Have been in Alberta as a resident for at least 12 months before being admitted to the university.
Is The Alexander Rutherford Scholarship Awarded To All Candidates?
No, a scholarship is not awarded to all candidates that apply. The scholarship is highly competitive. However, roughly 14,000 applicants are awarded the scholarship yearly.
How Much Is The Alexander Rutherford Scholarship Worth?
According to the scholarship portal, the Alexander Rutherford scholarship is worth less than $2,500.
It can be used for any post-secondary education. It is applicable to paying for tuition, textbooks, room, board, or other related expenses.
This financial aid is subjective. It varies with students’ grades and academic performance.
How to Apply?
- To apply, ensure that you have gone through the eligibility criteria and check all dots. Get all documents ready and contact your high school if need be.
- Log in to the scholarship website and create an account with Alberta student aid. After that, ensure that your email address used for the application is verified.
- Locate and select High School Achievement Scholarship
- Input the necessary information for the scholarship. E.g., high school name, Social insurance number, grades, etc.
- Please verify your details and ensure they are correct. Submit the form while the student Aid verifies your transcript.
- Your post-secondary school will be contacted to verify your enrollment.
- Qualified and confirmed candidates will be sent a cheque via mail. Those whose institutions failed to confirm their enrollment will be issued a confirmation form to submit.
When Is The Scholarship Deadline?
The Alexander Rutherford Scholarship provides financial assistance to high-achieving students in Alberta every year. This scholarship is open to citizens of Canada, and the deadline for applications is almost here. Rutherford Scholarship application will be accepted in the fall of 2022 and the spring of 2023.
If you’re a current or upcoming high school student with an excellent academic record, apply for the Alexander Rutherford Scholarship. The application process is quite easy, and many rewards for winning this scholarship.
So don’t wait – the deadline for the next applications is August 15!
Visit the Alberta Student Aid website for more info!
Can You Win Any Other Scholarships With Alexander Rutherford Scholarship?
Yes, you can. The Alexander Rutherford scholarship doesn’t in any way restrict you from being a recipient of other Scholarships.
So far, you are eligible; you are free to submit your application.
The Alexander Rutherford scholarship is a merit-based scholarship awarded to students in the province of Alberta, Canada. The scholarship is open to students attending a post-secondary institution in Alberta and achieving a high academic standing.
The Alexander Rutherford Scholarship was established in 1964 by the government. The scholarship aims to recognize and reward academic excellence among students in the province.
Students must be enrolled in a full-time program at a post-secondary institution in Alberta to be eligible for the scholarship.